Everywhere you look there are enticing pastries and evening cocktails at holiday parties. However, all is not lost! There are two simple ways to stay healthy and energized over the holidays so you can welcome 2012 with a smile and for the ladies, your skinny jeans!
Tip #1 â€“ Snacking. When life gets busy, planning your meals is the first thing to go. That in combination with all of the sugary treats around the office is a formula for diet disaster. I want you to stock your office, car and purse with easy 200 calorie snacks (listed below) so you always have a bite on hand. Then when those cookies are calling your name around 3:30pm, you can grab one of these quick sweet and savory snacks! Youâ€™ll increase your energy, decrease your stress hormones and youâ€™ll be more likely to say â€œnoâ€ to those tempting holiday treats.
Here are some of my favorite 200 calorie snacks:
- Cliff Mojo Bar. You can find these everywhere and they just came out with delicious new flavors like Peanut Butter Pretzel
- Apple and Almond Butter. Try Justinâ€™s Nutbutter! They come in individual servings and fantastic flavors like almond butter and chocolate hazelnut.
- 2 Cuties & 2 String Cheese. Thatâ€™s right, I said 2! Both of these are very low in calories so your stomach isnâ€™t left grumbling and craving sugar.
- Trail Mix. My two favorites are the Planterâ€™s NUT-trition packs and the Trader Joeâ€™s Just a Handful of Almonds, Cashews & Cranberries.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait. Mix 5oz of plain Greek yogurt with 2 tbsp of pomegranate seeds and 5 crushed walnuts for a sweet and savory snack.
The trick is to get to the store TODAY and stock up for the entire month! Life is going to get busy and even a grocery run can become challenging.
Tip #2 â€“ Schedule exercise. Eating healthy is one step, but you must also maintain a consistent exercise routine. As your schedule gets more hectic, you’ll see your normal workout time diminish; however, it is important that you remain consistent â€“ even if you have to cut your 45-minute workout to 2o or 30 minutes. Look at your calendar and schedule in exercise for the remainder of the month. Get Total Gym exercises on-demand at www.totalgym.com/exercises.Â By simply getting moving youâ€™ll crave healthier foods, reduce your stress and feel great!
Tara ColemanÂ is a Clinical Nutritionist and Salada Tea Spokesperson living in San Diego, CA, and . She blogs twice a month with â€œTaraâ€™s Friday Bite.â€ Leave your comments with ideas for future topics or email Tara directly atÂ email@example.com.Â