Summer Is Slow – How To Get Your Trainers’ Education Up-To-Date
If your training business is like most clubs, studios, gyms, and facilities, then during the summer months you will most likely experience a slight decrease in new clients. You will also see the attendance of even your most loyal clients go up and down as they are traveling the world to vacation and recharge their own mental batteries…which is great by the way but where does that leave you and your business?
I’ll tell you where it usually leaves you – that’s in one of three places:
1) You have to cut back the hours of some of your training staff to offset the loss of income because you have nothing for them to do and don’t want them just sitting around and collecting a paycheck without any clients to train.
2) You decide not to cut back the hours of your staff but face the likelihood of losing money if you can’t find something to keep them busy.
3) You’re savvy enough to use this “extra” time to invest in your staff, empower your team, and create continued success for your club year around.
Hopefully as you read the 3 options above, you quickly identified yourself with the 3rd option but in case you didn’t, the good news is that I’m going to share with you 5 ways to get you into the 3rd group option:
1. Invest in Your Team – Just as in any SMART investment – the more you put into it, monitor it closely, and don’t panic at the first sign of danger, the more likely you are to get a huge return on it, and with your staff, it’s no different. View investing in your team the same way that you would view a financial investment. When I say to invest in them, I mean to do so in whatever way you believe to be the most impactful to the growth of their careers. One of the most popular ways to do that is by sending your team to learn and grow at a fitness conference such as at IHRSA, IDEA World, Can Fit Pro World Fitness, ACSM Summit, SCW Mania, NSCA National Conference, and various other learning conference and seminar opportunities. The experience will be well worth it, for not only you but also your training staff. Speaking as someone who has been to conferences all over the world and knows the value of that face to face learning experience, I can tell you that the investment in sending your team to these events is well worth it. Yes it does cost a lot of money but as I just said, you should view it as an investment and an opportunity to strengthen your team so that they can become better fitness professionals, increase their knowledge, help more clients, represent your brand better, and essentially increase profits for the business.
2. In House Library – Maybe your budget is smaller and it’s completely understandable if you are financially unable to send all or even some of your training staff to one of the conferences that was just mentioned above or maybe it just doesn’t work for some of your staff to leave town for a few days. However, with the power of the internet, the good news is that you can now bring education directly to your facility for your team via books, podcasts, teleseminars, webinars, articles, CDs, DVDs, and more. Having an in-house library with extensive resources that your team can tap into at any given time will prove to be tremendous to their growth and keep them ahead of the curve. Your trainers will be better equipped as they are constantly in the know and surrounded with cutting edge information that will help them not only keep their individual knowledge up, but it will also help to keep their CECs & CEUs current so that they can maintain their training certification. Your training staff will thank you and so will their clients.
3. Live Workshops at your Facility – Nowadays, you can bring in top experts from the fitness industry from all over the world to come speak to you and your team at your place of business. This is a great way to really motivate your team and get the opportunity to bring in someone that they most likely have heard of before and maybe even have looked up to. For your entire team but more specifically your younger staff, they will really respond well to having a well known influencer, in person to deliver some amazing content for professional growth. By doing this, you are basically challenging and encouraging your team to get better and you are letting them know that you want them to be the best that they can be!
4. Incentivize Education – There are a lot of businesses that reward their staff for acquiring more degrees or certifications or by taking a particular class. This is an amazing way to really motivate your team to keep learning because most people are motivated by money, recognition, and competition. Yes, I said “competition” – you can create some kind of in-house challenge that encourages obtaining more continuing education units such as, “Whomever gets the most CECs or CEUs between June 15 – August 30 will receive an additional $500 in their paycheck.” That’s just one idea but you can certainly play around with this concept and talk to your team to create some buzz and of course, some friendly competition among them.
5. Let Your Staff Be Creative – Everyone likes to be empowered, including your team. Use these slower months to create a plan to execute for the rest of the current year as well as even the next year for everything for the business; including the educational process, the marketing, the growth plan, customer service, etc. Don’t allow your facility, your services, your culture, or your marketing to get stale and what better way to do that than to collaborate with your team. Get them involved in other areas of the business so that they feel like a larger piece of the puzzle. You want them to have a strong interest in seeing profits soar, enrollment increase, improved brand recognition, and better client results and the best way for them to feel that connection is to involve them.
By doing all of above, you are showing your team that you care and that you appreciate them being apart of your work environment. Loyalty plays a huge part in business and statistics show that investing in your team will drastically improve your chances to create the massive results that you want for not only the profits of your business but also for the longevity of your business.
About the Author
Mike Z. Robinson is the owner of the highly successful personal training facility, MZR Fitness as well as Mike Z. Robinson Enterprises which features & highlights a myriad of options to help fitness professionals grow their businesses and careers. Mike was the 2015 IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year, is the author of the E-Book: “Fitness Up, Everything Up”, and he is also a Media Spokesperson for both the American Council on Exercise & IDEA Health & Fitness Association.